Cricket Pitches

The present cricket pitch is situated next to the Blacksmith’s Forge, having been levelled by villagers from an area of dells during the 1970s. Earlier, following the failure of the Dashwoods to popularise their golf links (1896-1906), there were three cricket pitches on the Common. Chapel Street Methodists played near the Mines Cottage and Commonwood Cottage; the Wesley Methodists played near the blacksmith’s yard, and other Downley people played near Faulkner's bakery, now the Dairy.