High Street
The south side of the Common was originally fields belonging to the farms of Downley and Littleworth but in 1822 Mr Briggs began to build the small cottages along the High Street and Commonside using a narrow strip of land to provide them with gardens. Mr Plumridge also developed his land nearer to Littleworth Road till it was continuous. By 1847 there were 200 people living on or around the Common. A pub, The Golf Links, was built on the corner of the High Street and Plomer Green Lane and a few houses were built into the Lane including Prospect Place and Row. Eventually some of these cottages used their front rooms as small shops, and sheds were built in the back gardens as chair factories. This is still the most important of the present Village shopping centres with the Bricklayers Arms, Post Office and Memorial Hall to complement the shops.