Le Despencers Arms

South of the Dells is the “Le De”, Downley’s secret pub of Chiltern brick and flint hidden away at “Top Common”. This ancient inn was certainly there in 1698 but as it was on the main routeway from the north through Naphill to Wycombe it is probably the site of the earliest building on the Common, a stopping place for travellers in the Middle Ages. It carries the coat-of-arms of the Despencer family who at various times owned many estates around Wycombe. For a short time it was renamed The Griffins Head.