Manning's Pond

At the north end of the Common lies a man-made clay-lined drover’s cattle pond, probably at least 300 years old and maybe much older. It is a Site of Special Scientific Interest because of the very rare “Starfruit” which grows there, rediscovered by DCPS in 19?? and is also home to newts, frogs, ducks and dragonflies. Manning was the name of three large fields north of Downley and near Cookshall Farm. Dashwood bought them in 1774 as Mannings Land. In 1912 Colonel Cody landed his aeroplane, the “Flying Cathedral” on Mannings Field after suffering from a faulty compass, causing much local excitement.