Between the High Street and the Bonfire site, Sunnybank is the name of the sunny slope where the Common was intruded upon to form small enclosed fields for private use. By 1698 three small houses had been built. By 1767 there existed a bakery, the house called Mountjoys Retreat (once a public house), and a farmhouse near the present Downley Lodge. By 1849 Silver Street (now Moor Lane), part of which was called Bug Alley, had been built and small houses were on the site of the dairy. The Wesley Methodist chapel was built here in 1824, and expanded in 1838 and 1847. The chapel was badly damaged by fire on 1st November, 1998.
At the bottom of Sunnybank is Well Cottage. Noted as being the only source of water locally during the severe drought of 1929, it served for many years as the workshop of the local coffin maker.